In today’s episode, MissSnowfox and Momo talk about the fourth episode of BBC’s Merlin, “The Poisoned Chalice”.
Find the stream or download options for this episode below the cut.
Download here [Right click, save as]
- First aired 11 Oct 2008
- 3 female characters (with lines)
- 2 main cast (Gwen, Morgana)
- 1 supporting cast (Nimueh)
- 5 male characters (with lines)
- 4 main cast (Arthur, Merlin, Gaius, Uther)
- 1 supporting cast (Bayard)
- Enemy/Monster of the Week: Nimueh, Cockatrice, Baloran Spiders
- Arthur kills 1 creature (Afanc)
- French: cocatris
- Medieval Latin: calcatrix
- Ancient Greek: ichneumon
- Means: Tracker
- Two-legged dragon or serpent with rooster’s head
- hatched from an egg laid by a rooster, and incubated by a toad (or according to some tales, a snake)
- Sometimes synonymous with basilisk, but basilisks are traditionally depicted without wings so they’re not quite the same.
- Can kill people by looking or breathing on them, or by touch alone
- Dies upon hearing a rooster’s crow, or from looking at itself
- BBC Merlin’s cockatrice looks like an oversized Komodo Dragon with wings, so not at all like a cockatrice from legends.
- Enormous spiders that live in the caves in the forest of Balor.
- Don’t like light.